A scenario of world events taking place during the 6-10 periods (simulated "quarters", Q) of a game is highly desirable both for the learning experience (adapting to environmental change) and to enhance long-term motivation among participants. However, it is a time-consuming task to creatively generate a score (or even a dozen) of environmental events - especially the first time around. Furthermore, one has to think through how much advance notice (true or false) to give the teams. If you simply hit them on the head with strikes or currency devaluations, for example, companies will soon lose their interest in strategic planning, and switch to cowboy management.
Accordingly, we include as an extravagant service to INTOPIA users a Model Scenario for a full 8Q run, to users who would like to try out a full-fledged scenario before they may develop their own. After developing the Model Scenario I have used it in about a dozen runs with both executives and students. The Model Scenario 2002 consists of the following items:
Once the 2002 Scenario file has been loaded on your computer, implementation of the events will be generally automatic as the Qs roll by. Of course, you can delete or add events to your heart's desire any time, only keeping in mind to give companies appropriate advance notice.
- Introductory Guide for the Facilitator.
- A diskette containing the complete Scenario file.
- Listing of all environmental events by Q.
- A printout of all the World Changes (WC) by which the parameter changes reflecting the environmental events are made.
- A set of Gazettes, the trade journal of the CIA - the Computer Industries Association, in case you did not know - advising teams in a realistic way, of likely changes to come, and informing them of the changes as (and if) they actually occur.
The Model Scenario 2002 is the key ingredient of INTOPIA B2B CD2, which will be airmailed to you on receipt of your signed B2B license. Creating an update of Scenario 2002 is a major priority of the B2B design team.
For illustrative events, see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).